Training and Technical Assistance
- MAT Proficient Recovery Housing: Pioneers in the Opioid Crisis – RecoveryPeople and C4 Innovation is offering this advanced learning collaborative which will help recovery housing pioneers become proficient at supporting people who are prescribed medication-assisted treatment (MAT) as they pursue a life in recovery. A growing number of individuals are relying on MAT as a pathway to recovery. Yet, finding a recovery residence that welcomes and supports people using MAT is challenging. Best practices in MAT-proficient recovery housing are currently emerging, along with innovations driven by operators, staff, and residents. The price of the learning collaborative is $600 per student. It starts June 19, 2019. You can register at https://c4innovates.com/training-technical-assistance/recovery-housing/best-practices-in-recovery-housing/
- Family Recovery Coaching – Substance use is a family disease, impacting 1 in 3 households. However, support service rarely focus on family members’ needs or their personal pathway of recovery. To address this gap in services, RecoveryPeople in collaboration with family members across the Panhandle, North Texas, West Texas, South Texas and Central Texas have been adapting the current Peer Recovery Coach curriculum to reflect family member recovery. A retreat was held in May, and participant’s edits are now being incorporated into the curriculum. Family Recovery Coach training will be available once the curriculum is finalized.
- Texas Certification Board Training Entity – RecoveryPeople has received a Training Entity status from the Texas Certification Board and is in the process of creating a training protocol that meets the certification requirements for both the Peer Recovery Specialist credential and the new Recovery Support Peer Specialist credential. In conjunction with UT Health, RecoveryPeople submitted a HRSA grant proposal to train peer specialist in high need and high demand areas across Texas. Awards will be announced by the end of August 2019.
Texas Recovery Oriented Housing Network
- Certification Reopened – RecoveryPeople oversees the Texas Recovery Oriented Housing Network, which, as the National Alliance for Recovery Residences’ state affiliate, is responsible for certifying recovery residences that meet the national standard. In April 2019, the new Recovery Residence Certification Self Assessment and Application Management platform was launched, which reflect NARRs most recent standard and which allows providers to utilize a comprehensive self assessment before submitting their application for review. Providers only pay, if they want their application and properties reviewed. The prices is $500 + $10 per bed. https://recoverypeople.org/courses/recovery-residence-certification/
- 86th Texas Legislative Session – The last day of the 86th Session is May 27th. Although many of the recovery bills passed the House and some got committee hearings in the Senate, they were ultimately blocked by political power plays that were beyond the substance of the bills. Of the bills that are still “in play”, we will be watching them over the next few weeks to see if the Governor: signs them into law, allows them to become law without his signature or vetoes them. Next month, we will provide a full summary of the 86th.