Sober Fun! was a speaker panel session at the 2015 Recovery Capital Conference.
- John I, Texas State Conference of Young People in Alcoholics Anonymous (TXCYPAA)
- Lew Mickley Sober Recreations Committee
- Lizette Smith, Young People in Recovery
- Sierra Castedo, BA, PRS, Director of The Center for Students in Recovery at the University of Texas at Austin
The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous states that people in recovery are “not a glum lot;” a statement that is as true today as it was 80 years ago. But having sober fun as a person new in recovery can be a little daunting at first. This breakout session will discuss ways to help newcomers and oldtimers alike enjoy sober recreation.
At the close of this session, participants will be able to:
- Identify successes and challenges for planning and executing sober fun.
- Discuss contextual considerations (12-Step fellowships, community organizations, institutions, etc.)
- List ideas for fun, sober activities.